View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
I would hope Tremec incorporated improvements along the way, so that the TKO600 I purchased this year is the most up to date version. This is what any other manufacturer would do...am I wrong?

Yup!

Tremec's demonstrated performance is the polar opposite of what you just suggested and has been for nearly two decades, probably even longer. In fact they still use a two piece countershaft in the TKO 500 with a single woodruff key holding the front and back of the TKO 500 countershaft together. That was one of the driving forces behind the birth of the TKO 600.

Tremec clearly understands the use of splined shafts and gears to transmit torque in the transmission, they use them everywhere, Why would they possibly use a single wimpy woodfuff key to hold the front and back half of the countershaft together? The same countershaft that transmits all the torque from the input shaft to the output shaft of the transmission?

BTW when they built the TKO 600 they went to a one piece countershaft to fix the two piece countershaft problem and then misaligned third gear because they were too lazy to do the engineering to build it correctly. It was a low buck get it out the door quick deal. In the FWIW bucket they never fixed the two piece TKO 500 countershaft problem they just introduced a new transmission, with its own shortcomings.

This idea of introducing a new transmission instead of fixing the existing product short coming is well worn model at Tremec. Think about it, The TKX is just the next box in the TKO line up — this time addressing TKO 600 shortcomings. It hasn't been in service long enough for the end user to discover its shortcomings — yet.

Fixes from Tremec for the TKO 600 — never did it before. I would be surprised to see them do it this time. Don't forget that takes away TKX unit sales for what amounts to parts sales for an old transmission.

Just what have you ever seen them do that would lead you to believe they would perform the way you suggest?

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.