View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Jaguar rear brakes help

I have the Jaguar inboard brakes rear and recently discovered the pads are worn and need replacement. This is a bit puzzling because the front pads are fine. When the car was new, I followed the instructions in the manual and waited until the brake pads were well seated and, as instructed, didn't mess with the front/rear bias. When I tested the brakes, the fronts locked up before the rears just as they should, so I was good to go. Now, after discovering the pads are worn thin on the rear, I tested the brakes again and the rears are locking a little before the front, so over the 16,500 miles, the bias changed and it never occurred to me to test locking the brakes periodically. I'm assuming this is the cause of the premature wear.

Regardless, I'm looking for information and advice on replacing the rear pads. The manual provides the part number as Lucas/Girling GP97. Should I stick with them or consider different pads (I see a website called englishparts.com offers ceramic pads). As for the rotors, I assume I can have them turned since the mileage is relatively low - the manual lists the thickness tolerances so I can check that.

Lastly, I assume I can gain adequate access through the panel opening behind the seats by removing one seat, but not sure if I should just go ahead and remove them both.

Anyway, looking for any and all tips and advice before ordering parts.

Thanks,

Kevin