View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Tremecs bread and butter is OEM sales to GM, Chrysler and others. We have seen iterative improvements in those OEM transmissions over the years.

T56 and TR6060 are strong and shift great. They are true performance transmissions.

They had no choice but to make improvements. GM would not tolerate no improvements.

The TKO hasn't changed much since introduction. They don't sell many, compared to an OEM application and thus don't make much.

They can sell transmissions that are sub par because there aren't many choices for aftermarket 5 speeds that can handle 600 ft/lbs.

I suspect they are seeing big slow downs coming in the OEM market. Demand for manuals is dropping rapidly. This may be motivating them to improve the aftermarket and sell more transmissions.

They didn't come up with the TKX because they are good people. They did it to improve their market position.

I was going to have to swallow really hard before buying a TKO for my current build. I looked into Richmond, but it wouldn't easily fit in an ERA. TKO was really the only option for OD behind a big block.

The TKX looks to have some of the DNA from the TR6060 and T56. I will buy that without too much concern.

I bet there will be a lot of cheap TKOs for sale in the next few years.

John