View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
All my teasing and Patrick's collaboration not withstanding something we all should probably take to heart is a comment Shelby made in the interview he did for the British documentary The Snake and The Stallion (if I remember correctly).

Shelby was being interviewed about the origins and reasons for what would later become known as the Daytona Coupe. In his typically Shelby response he likened the roadster to a street brawler and suggested (in so many words) that the roadster could hold its own against any car in the world, at that time, on the shorter tracks. Their problem, as Shlby described it, was vehicle aerodynamics actually the lack there of, at the longer faster tracks like Spa. The roadster was a challenge to control as the car approached 160.

If I remember correctly his association of a street brawler with the roadster contrasted with his example of a gazelle or some similar animal with the coupe. His reference was specifically to the coupe's better aerodynamics which translated into much better handling at speed and stunning top speeds on the long straights, speeds that nobody else could match.

One of the drivers, I think it was Bondurant commented on an early head to head confrontation with a Ferrari that starts around 160 mph the general end point for the roadsters. The Ferrari's were capable of just shy of 180 mph or so. Bondurant (if it was him) says he played footsie with the Ferrari until about 175 mph and then decided to end the game by pulling away in a very convincing manner. I want to say middle 190mph speeds but I can't recall with certainty.

I do remember the joy he took in recounting the event for the interview. It was the first time the Cobra's literally owned every portion of the track with no if's, and's, but's or maybe's. Very entertaining interview, great insights into where each car excelled.

Ed
It's too bad the Coupe didn't get more time, but by that time the GT40 and its aerodynamics were ahead in the game.

In virtually every "business" I've ever been involved with and that is that your job is to replace your <children> with newer better faster <children>