View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Considering that they were able to get 450 Hp out of the 289, and they were doing this by porting the cast iron heads, going to a longer stroke 327ish engine would likely not make any more power. It would likely just make the same Hp at a lower rpm. Since the 289 was standing up well to the rpms they were turning them, there was no need to do this and the rules of the day may have limited them to the factory displacement. Had there been a need for more displacement, those engines would be everywhere. A research item here or there makes sense. You have to always be looking for an advantage.

This is just an observation and a personal opinion. I could be wrong and have been several times.

While modern technology makes it available now, 450Hp is more than I had heard before from a 289 back in the day. It seems I recall Brent doing one in that range, recently. I thought it was more in the 340-350Hp range, which I've heard said by those in the know to be optimistic. Isn't the 289 head a limiting factor in getting to that power level - even with aggressive porting? That would be awesome, if it was not at 7000rpm. Maybe Brent can chime in here...

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear