View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

There is mention of qualifying engines up to 32? CI mentioned in the SAAC Registry. The cranks were made from steel crankshafts from the 255” Ford Quad Cam Indy engines that utilized 289 Ford architecture. The steel crankshafts were modified for wet sump use by machining the front pork chop so that the oil pump drive shaft would clear the crank, the weight that was removed from the front pork chop was relocated to the center of the crank for balancing purposes. The rod journals were stroked .189” over the stock 289 dimension. As Dan had pointed out the main journals had oil grooves cut in them. The main journals were cross drilled. Another cool feature of these crank shafts were the main oil feed galleys which had fitted plugs that were held in with c-clips, very similar to the 427 crank shafts. I forgot to mention the snout of the crank had the extra length for the additional pulleys (dry sump etc) machined down to the standard 289 wet sump dimensions.
I was fortunate enough to locate and purchase a complete rotating assembly for one of these engines years ago from a private party in Santa Monica, Ca. The purchase included, crank, a fully degreed Hipo balancer, 289 Hipo rods and I believe Speed Pro pistons, I have to check my notes.
I utilized the, crank shaft, balancer, replaced the Hipo rods with BOSS 302 rods and replaced the pistons. There was also information where the first pork chop was machined with the stroke increase number as well as the customer info by the machine shop.