View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
My 1964 Mickey Thompson catalog lists stroker cranks for 289's.

Jim did your engine builder put the scare on you to upgrade? Depending on your tune you would be fine up into the lower 500 Hp range. Now if you were going 24 hour racing.....get a better block. I have an Jan 67 hotrod artical on the gurney eagle engines. Dan said that they had made as much as 448Hp with 271 HP cast iron heads on a 325 inch engine. So they were making them big before 67! Also the big numbers were 506 HP from a 289 with the gurney eagle heads on gas with webers. So they were making big number way back before 67.

How did your engine look wheen they took it apart? Any problems? There is a guy out east that has a progam to cnc port 289 heads that guys have been making in the 425 to 450 range with. I think they are also remaking the C6FE heads and cnc porting them. There is nothing like a real 289 making big power. I really like them when they use a factory 289 block ,heads and crank. Yes with aftermarket blocks and heads and cranks they might make a little more power. But I dont think they are as cool.
Great info! The C6FE heads are repopped by Curt Vogt, who now owns the rights. If memory serves me correctly, they are extremely expensive, like $4,000.00 for a set of raw/unmachined castings and approaching $10,000.00 for a full-up, race-prepared set. His company, Cobra Automotive, does a lot of Cobra motors and vintage racing. You can call them, if you are interested, to get accurate pricing. He has a Mustang that is killer, but I think it runs in a different class than stock.

Who is the person porting 289 heads on the east coast? Is it Curt's group? How much does it cost?

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear