View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
There are two extremes Original at one end and practical and modern at the other end. The Cobra was a 50's design that had been modified by many builders over the years, before it was a Cobra it was an AC . It was a fun and light weight but a bare bones car. Not at all weather tight. steel and aluminum ,no fiberglass. The plastic was the tail light and shifter knob. I read that AC motor cars was down to building wheel chairs when Shelby first contacted them. My car is a replica, an older replica at that . My car was purpose built early in the 80's to compete in the Virginia City Nevada Hill climb. Open roadster, one roll bar 427 side oiler engine, top loader 4spd. No sun visors or wind wings, or heater. It looked like a Cobra SC. and if it didn't make it faster it was not there except for a built in hidden radar detector. The original builder was mid height but a lot trimmer than I.
I wish for more creature comfort's now I wanted the sift top and side curtains from the start. I have installed a Vintage Air heater defroster. I have rewired the car, most all the glass fuses and traditional fuse holder
became a problem issues, a lot of relays, circuit breakers and dash indicator lights.
I want the second twin roll bar as a protection and anchor point for racing harness belts. The original builder leaned the windshield back for aero effect.
The soft top and side curtains i bought over twenty years ago would not fit The laid back windshield. In looking back, I now have a list of things I now wish were different. After admiring cobras for the last fifty years. No two cars are the same. There are always different choices I have my things that are on my list. I'm not tall and now you could call me fat and I couldn't argue that point A longer wheel base not original but practical. The door hinges on The Classic Roadsters would be great after hip and knee replacement. 16" wheel help but 17 " wheels would let me install 12" brake rotors. A large single four barrel Carb intake manifold would let me have a better air cleaner. An over drive 5th or 6th gear would work better for highway drives. Two matching high functional roll bars not original but practical. Higher back seats with shoulder strap routing and back support.
An alteration to the top of the body under the windshield could be molded in to form a better seal with the rubber seal and be completely hidden. Some manufactures have raised the rear license plate lamp higher on the trunk lid for American plates. The side profile could be a little taller to get the engine air cleaner under the non functional hood scoop. and let the seats have an adjustable seat track and still not have your head up above the windshield. I'm happy that my cars builder put the biggest radiator in.
I have not given up yet but I do like the newer Mustangs with the heater defroster and roll up side windows and door locks. Did I mention air conditioning and radio?
You're describing a Corvette.