Old 01-01-2021, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
You're describing a Corvette.
Interesting discussion. Precisely the type of soul searching and honest reckoning that I'm processing right now. The sale of my beloved Unique Motorcars Cobra and my move to Canada where replica options are drastically curtailed, has me looking at all options.

I really don't like the idea of hacking up and changing a Cobra into something it was never meant to be. It's desirability comes from its purposeful and functional purity of design and to add conspicuous things like modern high back seats and a bigger, taller body ruin that for me. Some people just want a brutally fast sports car and so something with a few Cobra styling cues and vaguely similar shape - like some modern "replicas" - is Cobra enough for them. To me it just looks mismatched and awkward.

Now, I too find myself wanting some things my Cobra - any true Cobra - simply cannot deliver. I want to be less dependent on good weather so I can enjoy driving more and go greater distances. I want to enjoy the drives along with my wife, and I also want music. As much as I love the sidepipe symphony, I'm craving more now. Windows that go up and down. A convertible top that actually works. Big, powerful brakes. Air conditioning even?

I love Cobras - I think I always will. But I have a sinking feeling that I may have outgrown them for my own personal use. I still want a smallish two seat roadster with low slung, classic lines, big tires and a powerful V8 powerplant. So am I just describing a Corvette? I've owned C4 Vettes and that's not what I'm looking for. Too big, heavy and bulky. The modern convertibles surround you with too much bodywork - high sills, high back seats and a fussy, complicated interior. You do not have that 360 degree view, open air feel that you get in a Cobra. Not even close.

One day recently, I stumbled across a solution that really has my attention.

Yes its a Corvette - but its a classic C1 with a full Art Morisson chassis, a 6 speed T56, modern suspension, tires and brakes and a strong, LS or LT V8. Right now it ticks all the boxes for me. I love the whole aesthetic, the basic comforts and the performance. I think I'm in love again.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...