View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Dang, that's some serious fabrication. Especially when it's spinning at 7000 RPM.
I know what you mean, Patrick. It is more than a little sobering. That said, the reality of it all did not sink in for me until well after the job was done, in the car and I had spun it up there a couple of times. Even had I bought an aftermarket solution I would have still used the Lakewood can. It can do a great deal to blunt the impact of any clutch / flywheel explosion, home built or otherwise.

I also spent a lot of effort to carefully machine all the pieces and always used high grade / high quality virgin billet steel. As I finished each piece, I worked hard to remove any potential stress risers I could find that were left behind from from the machining process.

Overall I feel as comfortable with it as if I had bought an SFI certified aftermarket piece. At the time there were no aftermarket dual disc setups available for the engine so it was the old hot rodding approach of make it your self if you can't buy one.

What I did with fabricating the clutch is not such a big deal. What Morris did with his car is a BIG deal.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 01-02-2021 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar