View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWithScizzors View Post
This is a very timely thread for me as I am actively shopping for a Cobra that I can drive comfortably. Thanks, Rhody, for sharing that legwork!
I am 6'5" and long-wasted, so seat height relative to the windshield is as much concern for me as legroom. I have my heart set on a replica 427 Street Roadster. So I have a challenging combination of specs: lowered seat height, under-car exhaust, and needing to retain seat tracks so that my 5'9" spouse can also drive it. Mufflers are typically positioned under the seat floor, taking up valuable vertical space. Has anyone solved this dilemma?
You list several items that will all be in conflict - long upper body, lowered seat height, seat tracks and under-car mufflers. In my ERA street roadster I skipped the seat tracks and some seat foam thickness and I sit comfortably in it - but I’m only 6-2. You sit directly over the mufflers on a street car and dropping the floor any will basically put a 4” thick muffler with 1” floor clearance nearly on the ground. I run 3” thick SpinTech mufflers with a normal floor pan on top of frame rails car and I would not want to position them any lower. From a ground level perspective you can see must of my mufflers below the rocker panel and I have extended rockers to mimic the rocker curvature on original cars. I think even the lowest profile seat tracks add 1” mounting height and an inch here and an inch there all add up to looking thru the top of the windshield frame. To get a comfortable seating position a couple of those priorities would have to go unless you can find a car with a body stretched vertically as well as in length - IMO.