View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a gentleman contact me about getting a frame and body for my Cheetah inspired car. I have the body but need to build the frame. This will mean that It will be a week or so before I can get really started on the Manta. That being said I looked at it a little more today.

I think that the frame was cut and the front re clipped, not shortened as I fist thought. The original Manta used VW bug front suspension. Towards the end of the run they switched to Mustang front suspension. I think they clipped the frame to accommodate that change.

The front suspension cradle can easily be moved forward or backward. I unbolted the upper control arm and cradle. There is room to move it forward by 5 inches. I slid the cradle forward by 5 inches. I also cut the front off of the cockpit tub. I can see where making this change will greatly increase leg and foot room and make the car much more comfortable for me. I think that I will make this change.

I found that the upper control arm spacing as mounted is 27 inches. This is the same width as the C4 UCA spacing. However, the Vettes lower control arm spacing is several inches wider. The result would be more room to move the clutch MC to the left, closer to the frame rail. This would be an advantage. The other advantage of using the Vette suspension is that wheel spacers would not be needed. This will greatly improve the front suspension geometry. I'm pretty sure that I will go with the Vette suspension. I can build a nice cradle for it.

Foot protection is something that will be improved with extending the wheelbase. There is a clip that will bolt to the front of the frame to which the radiator will mount to. I'll incorporate an internal bumper to provide more foot protection. The reality though is: Get in an accident in this car and more than likely serious bodily harm or death will occur. At ride height the top of the side pod height is only 15 inches.

Adding 5 inches to the wheelbase will require lengthening the body. I'll do that in the middle of the doors/side pods. This also will require new side windows. I think the car will look better with the added 5 inches.

I have a fuel tank that fits into the side pod space. It's 10 by 10 by 43 inches long. It hold 18 gallons. With the LS engine that will give good range. I'll turn the other side pod space into luggage space. By lengthening the side pod by 5 inches I'll have 10 by 10 by 48 of space.

I have some other ideas to finish off (hopefully improve) the frame. My thought at this time is to use the existing frame and make mods to it.

Having fun