View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2019 Backdraft RT4 w/Coyote and Tremec 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I bought a 2019 Backdraft RT4 a year and 2,400 miles ago. Great car, but built to a price point. Things I changed are: New Dreamcar mirrors on each side, and removed the OEM mirror on the driver side. Waaay better vision when backing or changing lanes. I ordered the car with under-car exhaust, and I haven't missed the sidepipes at all. I did change the exhaust tips from turn-down to a straight back tip, so the dust & debris doesn't get blown up into the air while backing. My car has a coyote & tremec TKO 500. Awesome and versatile motor. Terrible transmission. Ultra Shift Oil was a big improvement, retro Hurst handle that looks like original cobra T-reverse forward leaning shift handle provides more leverage, and slightly better shifting. Next mod is the installation of the Pro 5.0 shifter and the Liberty trans modifications to make the TKO shift better. Finally, the OEM master cylinder for the clutch failed @ 2200 miles, and leaked fluid down the inside of the firewall, and is not rebuildable. It apears that the poor pedal pushrod gemoetry put a sideload on the master piston, and wore out the seal. Wilwood .70 master cylinder is now working the internal hydraulic throw out bearing much better. While on that subject, the stock Backdraft pedal assembly for clutch & brake is pretty bad. Looks like a blacksmith made it. It is very simple, but the geometry from the pedal linkage to the pushrod going into the masters is off, and makes a stiff clutch even worse with poor geometry and linkage binding. May have to put a new Tilton pedal assembly in the car to fix this eventually. Little things: I added LED footwell lights & trunk light & backup light. I added a 3/4" piece of heater hose between each seatbelt mounting clevis and the floor mounted eyelets. This eliminated the constant rattling of the seatbelt mounts by keeping a flexible rubber pressure against the belt mounts & eyelets. So, overall I love the car, beautiful, scary fast, and easy to live with day to day. Complaints: Excessive cowl shaking left / right on all roads except the smoothest blacktop. Transmission / Clutch very disappointing. Needs a 3.73 Ring & Pinion at the same time that I disassemble trans for upgrades. Hope this helps someone in their choice. MM