Old 01-14-2021, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post
Hi Tony,
I agree. The close ups came out really sharp and nice.
What do you think of his other shots on his Website? Hes a young guy just getting started and hoping to do just Automotive Photography for a living.
Take care
Sal
He needs a lot more work before he'll earn a living doing it. He might start by looking at the guidelines that they post on www.cobracountry.com. He has some really good suggestions for taking car pictures that are actually applicable to almost any "thing" ("Thing" being a large stationary object).

One thing that my photography professor impressed upon me is that black and white is often best for taking pictures of "things" (be they large or small). For ads and such you need color, but for "art" B&W is often correct.

He might try to get on line with the guys at Bring A Trailer and some of the other cars-for-sale web sites and magazines like Autotrader. I think they contract to locals when someone wants the company to supply photos.

Right now, I'd say he should keep his day job.

One of the highest compliments I ever got was when I was selling my Ford GT and I had done photo sessions at the Red Rocks amphitheater and park in Morrison. (It's a famous , really famous, concert venue, but is also a city park). It has great rock formations. I shot all of my cars there and those are the ones I've used in all my sales. When the GT went to Barrett Jackson they took my entire shoot in raw resolution and used them for the photos of my car. Then my contact said "and we've got a surprise". Well, I go over there on the day of the preview to check out the car and walk by one of the T-shirt booths outside and they have the auction catalog. My car is on the front cover of the catalog!!! I asked Craig Jackson about it and he said it was one of the best shoots they'd seen in a long time. (They did photoshop out parking lot lines and other stuff, but the framing and backgroud and exposure were left alone.)

The other one was when the Ford GT forum guys were still doing a calendar. I had just gotten my car and a pic from the same shoot was used in the calendar. Not only that but I later found out from Camilo Pardo that it was the only picture he didn't have to do serious manipulation on. (And no, it wasn't the same one BJ used.)

The "pro photographers" (oh, I was one, I used to shoot weddings in college) saying is "with digital photography everyone thinks they're a pro". The pros even with digital photography don't shoot thousands of frames with the thought of choosing one. Pros compose in the camera for content and exposure. The shoot above had maybe 30 different shots.

There were three of us in college that did photos. One got a PhD and taught at the University of Nebraska. I went on to computer storage for 40 years. A third actually opened a photo studio in Rapid City and did commercial photography. He has lots of photos in the high end gift shop places. He paid his bills by doing class and yearbook portraits and bought a plane to fly everywhere. A 4th was a couple of years ahead of us and became a newspaper photojournalist and has won some pretty prestigious awards.