View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Here's what I've drafted for a form letter, edit as you feel needed. I've sent an email to SEMA, and plan to reach out to ERA as well.

Reviewing the bill and the statutes, there are certainly nuances on what possibly qualifies for classic plates, so suggest folks take the time to review each. I think at minimum, this bill should allow our cars to be eligible at 20 years, just like any other car.

-----------------------------------------
I am writing to request your support in Connecticut regarding recently proposed bill 159:

Proposed Bill No. 159
AN ACT REDEFINING "ANTIQUE, RARE OR SPECIAL INTEREST MOTOR VEHICLE" TO INCLUDE A REPLICA VEHICLE.

This bill proposes that subdivision (3) of section 14-1 of the general statutes be amended to redefine "antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle” to include a replica vehicle, as defined in the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015, P. L. 114-94.

By amending the general statutes, this bill would allow replica vehicles to be eligible for classic license plate registration. This is important for replica owners in Connecticut, since today, replicas are NEVER eligible for classic plates, and therefore exposed to extremely high annual vehicle property taxes, well above a reasonable assessment. According to state law, "any antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle", shall be assessed at not more than $500. By amending the general statutes, this assessment cap then applies to replica vehicles.

By supporting this bill, you support the interest of automobile collectors and enthusiasts:
  • Replica builders and owners would receive equal eligibility for classic plate registration, similar to any other vintage automobile in CT. Today, replicas are not eligible for classic plates, even when the chassis / frame is 20 years old.
  • Classic plate eligibility provides automotive enthusiasts the ability to proudly display Connecticut classic plates on their vintage replica, reflecting a more ‘period correct’ appearance.
  • By supporting this bill, you support small / manufacturing businesses. We have several replica companies and suppliers in Connecticut and bordering states. Consumers are more likely to purchase replicas and support these businesses knowing that classic plate registration eligibility exists in Connecticut.
  • Since most replicas are categorized as ‘composite vehicle’, Connecticut towns struggle on how to properly assess their value, creating unneeded angst between the town and replica owner. A capped assessment of $500 eliminates this angst.
  • The volume of replica automobiles in CT is very low compared to production cars, therefore any monetary impact to the state in extremely low. However, the benefit to replica owners is significant.

This is of personal interest to me, as I hand-built a Factory Five roadster replica back in the early 2000s with my ‘to-be’ wife at the time. My family has shared many memories together with the car and generated long lasting friendships with fellow owners. After many years of enjoyment, in 2019 the town of Middletown inexplicably raised the annual property tax assessment by 1500%. Despite providing thorough documentation to the assessors and appeal board, the appeal was declined. In 2020, the assessment was raised another 20%. Again, despite providing documentation, the appeal was declined. I have since rid the car from Connecticut, however I remain involved in the hobby and passionately advocate for this bill. Without classic plate registration eligibility, our hobby is at risk to become smaller, and will continue to be exposed to inexplicable, unsustainable annual property taxes in Connecticut.

Please support this bill, and support your Connecticut automotive enthusiast. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to further discuss. Thank you in advance for your support!

If you live in Connecticut, you need to read this thread on registration and taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/regi...re-beware.html