View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 01:50 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
Spent my day doing diligence on the actual car with the owner.

Wow, turns out it's a Gen I, not a Gen III like he said it was (2018 model year engine).

I'm not paying that for Gen I engine.

I kind of knew I was slightly higher (why I asked "fair" as opposed to "good") because I wanted a gen 3 (or pay more for voodoo) and loved the color and some other goodies.

I'm not paying $77k for a Gen I engine.

What about the interior commands a premium?
A BDR style Cobra replica is not for everyone, the customization and deviations from original are more for those who want the basic look of a Cobra, but not "the look". As for the drivetrain hurting value, it's subjective to a point, again it depends on the buyer, but strictly from a resale value, it does. I say this as the past owner of an ERA 289 FIA Cobra with a 4.6L DOHC motor installed. The car had all the bells and whistles that ERA could offer, every single one, the first owner (great guy by the way) spent 100K having this one of a kind car customer engineered, designed, and built. He and his significant other (pre child) enjoyed the heck out of the car, as did my wife and I while we owned it. When it came time to part with it, what should have been an easy sale, ended up taking months to part with and eventually ended up overseas due to it's original titling status (a whole different conversation, do a search of the forum for the countless threads). If the car had a traditional drivetrain, it would have sold in a week or two, and for more than I eventually sold the car for. Will my next Cobra have a more traditional drivetrain, yes, yes it will, do I know what that will be yet, no, as I have yet to decide on a 427SC, 289 streetside, or 289FIA at this time. It may just end up being whatever falls in my lap at a decent price, but, and no offense, it will not be a BDR as I prefer a more traditional body, without the "modern" adaptation that dilutes the whole reason for owning a Cobra, real or replica in the first place. Just my personal choice, one which differs from yours, or one that comes from past ownership, and knowing exactly what I am looking at, not just falling in love with a color combination, or a high HP drivetrain (200hp is enough to get you killed in a Cobra, and will still get you 0-60mph in under 5 seconds)...........

I'll leave it at that.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS