View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

No one has commented on the Blueprint engines.

They are sold through Jegs and Summit.

We just tore down a $6100 347 Blue Print motor sold by Jegs. We know it had 5,000 miles on it but think it may have had less than a thousand miles when Ron bought the car last year. We are guessing 6,000.

The second time Ron wound it up through third gear one of the .040"
hypereutectic piston broke a piece out of the top. Common problem with Hypereutectic pistons if the rings are not gaped correct.
I had two engine mechanic to look at it. They said the rings were gaped to tight for the amount of heat build up when running the motor hard. One builder said he ran a Chev with hypereutectic pistons on his drag car for two years with no problem but he gaped the rings more than recommended.

The crank and rods are cast, Melling oil pump, MSD distributor, Holley carb, cast cam that was being eat up because the distributor gear was steel, Edelbrock fuel pump, all the other parts have no numbers on them or they are the cheapest part available.

This is the only Blue Print motor I have seen. Make your own decision.

We are having the motor rebuild with forged pistons and a new cam. Ron over paid for the Mustang and does not want to buy a new motor.