View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I think the regulation has been around for a while, but so far none of the majors has signed up for volume production of Cobra replicas. The biggest problem in the Cobra space is a compliant engine. In the US the only one so far is a Chevy LS3. Ford hasn't submitted the Coyote for it (at least that was the case last time I checked) and we know that the overall Coyote penetration into the Cobra space is fairly limited.

Plus, it's hardly "free" to turn this on for a manufacturer. Any Cobra in volume would have to come with a fair amount of "support", including a warranty and longer term support, ie, dealer network for repairs, etc. It wouldn't necessarily be legally required, but it would be logically required, and that's a huge expense. If I bought a turnkey car from Shelby or Superformance I'd expect a TON more than I get now.

I spoke with Lance a couple of years ago and he didn't seem to enthusiastic. His metric was pull rather than push. That is, he wasn't going to build cars on speculation but would gauge interest by "if you were to build it I'd be interested". So far I don't see any action, so I assume interest was minimal. Instead he was going to expand the interior fit and finish choices so you could get brown leather dashes and digital gauges and a radio (all for extra and special order) but he said that's what the younger crowd wanted and let's face it, Cobras are going nowhere, let alone staying the same, unless some young blood comes into the hobby.
Ford does have a compliant engine - GODZILLA! 7.3l, 580 lbs., 430 HP, 475 lb/ft. torque. Lots of potential for modifications, should one be so inclined.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007-73

High performance 'Megazilla' version with aluminum block is rumored. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...-crate-engine/