View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
All three I am involved/aware of are licensed by the trademark/trade dress owners. But the rights to build Crosley replicas is open so go for it!
I'm not criticizing the law, only the expectation that it will turn the Cobra space into a new business model. I'm sure there will be some players in this space, I'm just doubtful that any of the major Cobra Replica folks will either abandon their "kits" nor add a complete vehicle line to their lineups in favor of a fully supported line of turnkey cars.

Why? It comes down to a TAM (Total Available Market) tradeoff. The Cobra market is fairly saturated with a cost point that is well known. Completed vehicles will add huge to that price due to the infrastructure costs. And since TAM for commodity products very nearly obeys entropy rules (TAM can neither be created nor destroyed, ie a buyer for a new commodity subtracts one from one of the others), I can't see anyone trading a well known business model for an unknown one. In other words, a line of completed cobras is not going to be supplemental to the total number of Cobras built.

Other cars could be successful. Good luck.

Can't think of any line that I'd be interested in with the possible exception of the Lotus 7 (in Prisoner dress) but Hillbank already sells the Caterham.

Doesn't Dynacorn have most of the Ford products already under license (Mustang for sure, and I think old Bronco)?

It'll be interesting to see the price band of vehicles built under this new paradigm.