View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
I agree that a known engine, broken in, and running well should not need testing, so to speak. But those tests can reveal air filter problems and coolant issues also.

Regarding air filter (silicon) contamination... some oils contain silicon (mobil1) and cause false positives. If you WANT to test, maybe call blackstone and ask what oils they recommend to not interfere with testing.

I pull samples about every 2 years in my daily drivers, and after engine work in my sports car.

The tests more than paid for themselves due to cutting WAY back on changes in my daily driver (from 3k to 12-15k changes). Even after 12-15k my oil is still WELL within spec on the additive package and contaminants are the same as they are at 3k miles.
I would think the best way to conduct testing would be to set aside a control sample of oil when performing an oil change, then withdrawing and comparing a sample of used oil to compare against the control sample. You should then have a true determination of the differences that occurred as a result of running the engine.