View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley w/BluePrint 408
Not Ranked     

Final update

The BAR referee appointment was was actually a 15 minute phone call and a follow up email. I explained what I was wanting (SB 100 smog exempt) and he sent me a list of all paperwork that he was needing. The paperwork was basically everything from DMV plus brake/headlight certification and my sequence number. Since DMV had not actually sent that to me yet, my case was put on hold with BAR. In the meantime I sent him a variety of build photos showing progress from just a body and frame to driving vehicle. I thought that would be enough.....nope. He said that his supervisor might have a problem with where I bought my engine/transmission. I explained that the power train was purchased 7 months after the build started from the same company that my car came from. They sell the combo as a package (Blueprint motor and Tremec trans) for a price that is a little cheaper than trying to order the various parts and pieces separately. The referee indicated that doing it that way might constitute the car being “turnkey”. After further debate, I sent him photos of the car without engine at delivery, my wife and I installing the engine in the garage and 20 additional photos showing the car was anything but turnkey.

3 weeks later, I received confirmation from the referee that my car was approved for tech inspection and final approval. Made my appointment and met with the technician. Nice guy. He asked me various questions about the car, the build and how I wanted it smogged. I told him that the car and engine were 1967 spec so to go with that. He “hinted” that I go with a 65 model year, as that was the simplest and least restrictive in regards to emission standards. After about 50 minutes I had my SB 100 sticker and headed to DMV.

After standing in line, then explaining yet again to another clerk about how to register a SPCN vehicle, I walked out with a set of plates. Mission accomplished.

Just a note.....I asked about personal plates and the black/gold sequential plates offered. Clerk said that those plates are now on hold because of COVID. You can order your plates now but you won’t get them until the end of the year due to the manufacturing lines are shut down.

Happy trails.....
John