View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I have a QuickTime bellhousing for a toploader and I’m not sure what is different other than that and my car is a little later serial number than Patrick’s - but my fork cleared OK so you may not have to trim it.

I would get some all-thread rod of the same size as the transmission bolts (size escapes me right now but I can check mine if you need me to) and cut 4 dowels about 8” long. Remove the transmission bolts and thread in the dowels and then you can just slide the transmission back on the rods very easily and block up the tail so you can then remove the HTOB and install the new fork and TO bearing. If you don’t disturb the pressure plate, the transmission will slide back in place on the dowels just as easily as closing the bolt on a rifle. You will need to put some padding and blocking under the oil pan to raise the back of the engine by Jack and support it and remove the transmission mount so the trans will clear the frame when slid back. Open the hood or block it up slightly so the air cleaner doesn’t come in contact with it. Of course the driveshaft needs to come out.