Thread: Engine oil leak
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Plenum removal and gasket requirements

So took to the spanners after discovering the oil leak source, knowing I'd have to get the lower manifold out to understand the reason for the leak.

I originally received the engine with the lower manifold in place but had never disassembled to that stage, and looking at the gaskets used I now have a few questions.

Interestingly I discovered that I must have mucked up on the upper manifold install as you can see by the state of the gasket.

The engine ran ok but I'm hoping the cure of this air leak might further improve performance.

So with the lower manifold out, there photos are of the gaskets across the block at the front and rear end of the valley.

My first questions are whether these gaskets are normally installed, are these gaskets just the short sections visible or part of other gaskets installed and do I just leave these bits in place?

I ask as the next two photos cause me some confusion and what gaskets are needed.
These photos show the underside of the lower manifold.

The first is the front end of the manifold showing a large gap in the gasket and the source of the leak behind the synchro.

The second photo is the rear edge of the manifold without any gasket present.

So would there normally be two gaskets assembled across the block at the front and rear end of the valley?

I am guessing the answer is no but I am trying to understand why then there is no gasket on the rear manifold face.

More particularly I need to know what to do to correct this.

What gaskets / gasket cement-goo should I be buy to facilitate the repair?

Is there such a thing as a lower manifold gasket set or even a combo covering the lower and upper manifolds, head gaskets and thermostat set?

Suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks