View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley w/BluePrint 408
Not Ranked     
Default Differential Breather

Hello all.
A little help. I was leaking rear end oil from my differential breather last month. The breather was a small pop up type cap. While driving, especially at freeway speed, oil was being pulled from it and leaking, not only leaving a mild spray across the lower half of the trunk but also leaving between quarter and half dollar size puddles in my driveway after stopping. I removed the pop up and installed a remote oil breather/oil catch can, positioned about 12 inches above the differential. It seemed to work until yesterday. The oil breather/catch can started leaking leaving the same size puddles in my driveway. I pulled the catch can off and it filled with about 3-4 oz of diff fluid. There are no other leaks other than from the catch can unit.

I am thinking the new breather unit is possibly siphoning oil from the differential. Anyone have similar problems or maybe a different reason why this is occurring and maybe a better solution?

When I filled the differential, I topped at the fill plug hole which Is about halfway up the rear ended. The differential is a Ford 9 inch with posi.

Thanks for any input.

John