View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 slabside, 302 SBF
Not Ranked     
Default Weber 44 IDFs on KMS 289 car

I'm thinking about converting my KMS 289 car (what they call a 'hybrid' with 427 frame but 289 slabside body) from a single four-barrel (ProForm) to Weber 44 IDFs. This is a rather mild engine and runs well, but I think the throttle response would be better with the Webers.

Has anyone done this and what sort of problems, if any, have you run into? I've written to KMS asking if they have the linkage as something I can buy, or will we have to fabricate it. Also I know the Webers like low fuel pressure, like 3-4 pounds, so we'll have to install a regulator and gauge for that. KMS cars of that era came with a Holley red pump which is about 7 pounds, IIRC, which will need to be reduced.

Also, if anyone has had a particularly good experience with any Weber shop I'd like to know of it- right now we're looking at Top End Performance, who were very helpful by phone.

Finally, years ago, I bought a 4x2 Weber rig, which it turns out is 48IDF carbs, which are too big for my engine. This has never had fuel in it. I plan to sell that setup, I'll photograph it and post it here. Thanks to all, in advance, for any advice.