View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I used Jim Inglese for my 289, if these guys are close to you and you feel comfortable, I know nothing of them so cannot comment. They seem to have some good information on their website. Pierce Manifold is in CA as well, I have purchased parts from them. I would suggest that prior to purchasing any Webers that you talk to whoever you may be purchasing from and discuss your current engine specs, inclusive of cam, heads, cubic inches, stroke, compression ratio, HP and desired performance. The carbs need to be tuned to your specific engine, you cannot buy off the shelf Webers and just throw them on a car and expect it to work right. They need to be tuned to the engine, and anybody worth their salt that is selling them to you should be able to do that for you prior to shipping.

Once setup, Webers really need any adjustment, unless you are changing altitude greatly. Jets/air correctors, etc., are easy to change. The linkage an be a pain to get right so that all four carbs are acting together. You need to carefully make sure that there is no binding and pay close attention to the bracket on the head that connects the linkage between the carbs to the throttle pedal to make sure that it is not flexing.

Yes, Webers, especially in a street application want between 3-3.5 psi, unless you are racing you do not want to get up to 4 psi. Your gas mileage will suffer, as Webers are not progressive; it is all eight barrels in all the time.

There is the possibility of tuning the existing ones that you have down. I have 48 IDA's on my 289 race engine with 42 chokes in them.

Good luck, and with some due diligence you should be able to put together something that will work. Just be aware that your cam may need to be replaced depending on the cam specs. Webers can handle a little reversion, but do not like a lot of it. If there is too much overlap it may be problematic in a street application. Make sure you provide your cam card specs to whoever you are purchasing from.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 03-02-2021 at 05:44 PM..