View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
How much was the total cost of your build and how long do you think it would have taken you if you would have bought the complete kit and not purchased in stages?
I'm going by memory, but my basic configuration and options from Hurricane is 9" solid axle, Wilwood big brake kit (front), windshield wipers.

I deleted from my kit the gauge set, dash switches, headlights, blinkers, taillights because I sourced them on my own.

So, again going by memory, rounding numbers:

Hurricane kit: $24,000
Craft Racing 351w/427, including:
water pump, alternator, march pulley set,
fuel pump, starter, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate ​$13,200
Tremec TKO600 $2600
Trigo 15" Hallibrand style wheels, adapters, and spinners $2500
Goodyear Billboard tires (4) $1600
Smiths 427 Cobra full electric instrument set from Nisonger $975
Kirkey vintage racing driver seat $550
LeMans fibeglass hardtop from Mr Bruce $800
FE style Expansion tank $350
...and many, many, MANY other items, large and small. Other things you'll need are ignition box and coil, battery, driveshaft, engine and trans mounts, omg it never ends...

I stopped adding items to my spreadsheet at about $55,000 ... and I havent even painted it yet. Add $6,000-$12,000 depending on color, options, quality, etc.

I used the bandsaw to cut and trim aluminum sheeting.

I used the welder to customize many things, including a hidden trailer receiver hitch, new lower engine mounts, relocated seat mount tabs, I swapped the stock mufflers with Classic Chambered Cobrapack 24" long 3" I.D. pipes, added 1" square tube faux supports in the engine bay (originality nod),

I fabricated and added my own glove box.

I used original style Lucas toggle switches, knobs, and ignition switch.

I didn't buy the kit in stages, i started with the kit, then bought the wheels/tires later, then later bought the transmission, then waited a while until I could by the engine, then got the drivetrain in, etc. etc etc. I just worked at my own pace, wasn't racing to get it finished, i wanted to build right, not fast. I had a lot of help and learned a lot along the way, learned how to weld, learned more about electronics than I wanted to, and I'm still learning.

hope that all helps. There are a LOT of guys in the Texas Cobra Club with all levels of knowledge and experience. even though I turned every single nut and bolt myself on my build, I had a lot of help and asked a million questions.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!