View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 01:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

What I wished I had on my first FFR- manual steering and an IRS. And more power (~400-415 hp 351 fms small block).
The 3 link rear rode terribly on the street. I do regret never taking it to a track. The brakes were also terrible on my ffr- more suited to mustang weight distribution. It would lock the fronts at the drop of a hat and not stop all that well. I also wanted knockoffs. The 5 lug covers hit the cheeseball meter a bit. That car had beautiful paint and looks to die for. It also made me realize I don't care too much about looks and would rather have a car that drives great.

On my next one I have now (used), it has everything I wanted, minus ABS. The superformance wilwood brakes are fantastic, IRS rides and handles nice (even with 450# springs), the RT upgrades I added are a must. *all* of them with a superformance.

Things I would want- ABS still, but it's way too much trouble to retrofit. I'm pretty happy with these wilwoods as they are. Small block vs big- the big blocks look nice, but I don't envy one. Nor would I take one out of the car if it had one ��
One thing you don't need- a ton of power. 450-500 is just right. My car came with the roush 427r. The SR motor would run a little better down low, and you won't miss the extra 50hp you can only use in 3rd gear and up if you're brave. I'm running Avon tires, which stick well, and 1st and 2nd gear requires a lot of throttle discipline. You can barely get in the secondaries in first.
With the old indy 500 tires it came with- death machine. Unusable power in almost any gear.

I've chased leaks, rebuilt the majority of the rear suspension, and turned most of the bolts on the car. I'm happy with the SPF as a driver and definitely for what I have in it. It's a joy to tinker with.

After seeing Rodney's Kirkham in person, what I'd want, money no object, is that beautiful billet suspension, and ridiculous twin charged big block to look at. I'd leave the body in bare aluminum and polish it to a blinding mirror shine.. And keep my car with an SR and abs to drive and not die in ��

I'm still torn on power steering. For driving on the road I don't need it. For the tight track I've driven on, I wished I had it. An electric rack you can turn on and off at will would be a good compromise. But the RT ball joints have me wishing less for power now.

Last edited by saki302; 03-26-2021 at 01:30 AM..