View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 04:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorpilot View Post
Before I saw Bob's response, I talked to Peter Portante. Will cost around $1400 and 4 weeks waiting for a new radiator and required hardware for mounting. This would update my car to the new version - aluminum - and would be a more original look. Wrestling with this option. Cost is a small part of it. The waiting... ugh. It's roadster season in GA!
This car was built by my dad in '83. Sold in '88. And she found me again a little less than a year ago. Dad always had trouble with the old 428 overheating. A subsequent owner added an oil cooler and that reportedly solved the overheating issue. I put about 1500 miles on her before slinging a rod and never overheated. But the tired old mill wasn't exactly making good power.
Decisions, decisions.
I updated the original radiator in ERA188 to the new style 9 years ago while still living in the NE. I did it myself, but sourced the radiator and mounts from ERA. This is by far the best thing you could do for the car, unless your new recore is going to be aluminum.

As an alternative, have you thought about sending your radiator down to Griffin to see what they can do with it?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS