View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

427 Cobras used their own unique tank assembly in a very different set of characteristics and they had "ribbed" tops. 427 Cobra style tanks have been made by more than one supplier for decades. Cobra / McCord style replacement tanks have been made by at least two companies.

Looks like a genuine one for 4V induction cars; S1CS 8080 Surge-Tank, Cobra BM3266. (A Shelby American assembly apparently made up of semi-complete parts supplied by McCord was used for cars with optional 2-4V induction January 1964 onward; S1CR 8079 Header-Tank, Dual Quad.) The date is C4, which was March 1964.

BM 3266 = McCord's identification number. The corresponding radiator was BM 3265.
MC = McCord
5 = Unknown for sure but could be the identification of which McCord plant made the assembly, "5" is the only code I have in my collected database.
C = March
4 = 1964

One known 4V car prototype was made in very early 1963. (If there were others I have not found evidence of them.) There was at least one run of service replacement 4V car tanks made in 1966.

Evidence suggests that CSX2141 was the chassis that introduced the 4V Ford / McCord expansion tanks and radiators into production.

Technical Tip: Depending on what exact rocker arm covers used and tolerances in play for the left side cylinder head casting, the intake manifold casting you have, and some machining details spacers might be required to prevent the mounting bracket from interfering with the left front corner of the intake manifold and or the front edge of the left hand rocker arm cover. Not every original Cobra using this tank type required spacers but a lot did. The spacer chosen was the 1962 Fairlane fuel filter assembly distance pieces, three per Cobra if required. Ford Motor Company did not sell the spacers in the service channel so if required you hunt parts salvaged from Fairlanes or you make some replacements from mild steel unfinished bar stock.

Last edited by Dan Case; 04-09-2021 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: add detail