Thread: 15” Tires lol
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

In 35 years of driving my Arntz replica for 200,000 miles, I have been through a LOT of tires. I run long rallies in my car and we run rough back roads quickly. The best compromise I have found is Cooper Cobra tires. I like the Mickey Thompson ST tires a lot because they have a little more grip, but they don't last nearly as long, especially on track days. I hate tires that jerk the steering wheel out of your hands at high speed as many sticky race tires (like Hoosier Autocross tires) do.

A set of Cooper Cobra's 235/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rears, handle really well with 1.25" front and 3/4" rear sway bars. With 35 psi on a track, you can maintain controlled four wheel drifts. At 27 psi, they are comfortable for long trips like the 4 day, 600 mile Targa California Rally. At $700 a set, the price is reasonable and my last set has lasted 4 years.

I did have good luck with Yokohama and Toyo when they made H rated 15" tires, but those days are over.

In the past, burned up a lot of Mickey Thompson Sportsman bias ply tires. They were cheap, fun and had lots of grip, but it was shocking how much rubber disappeared after every drive. For a while, I was buying a set every year. I cannot recommend anyone buy bias ply tires today. Not only do they wear out fast, but they also are much more prone to punctures. I used to carry 2 cans of flat fixer and on one rally, I used both of them and borrowed two more to get home. The worst thing is their tendency to follow groves in the road. You can never relax your grip or your attention to holding the car straight. This is very tiring on long drives.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-14-2021 at 01:12 AM..