View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 10:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntr2506 View Post
Now I got a question for you just because you mentioned the 6 pin hubs. They are more expensive but what's the advantage of them instead of the cheaper 5 pin hubs?
Six pin hubs are a thing of beauty. They may be a bit stronger, they may be a bit lighter (about four lbs. per wheel), and they may occasionally be easier to mount a wheel on than five pins when the five pins are not true, but for the most part you buy six pin hubs because you know they are there and you get to appreciate them when you are working on the car. Five pin hubs look exactly like the six pin hubs from the outside, but five pins are driven by lug nuts that go on the pin drive adapter. Nobody but you will know they are six pin. Kind of like a side oiler. You can not see down the side of the FE block when looking down from up top, and you can't get under the car and look from down below. In spec'ing out your car, you will be faced with decisions as to what to include and what not to include. Before you can make an informed choice you need to understand all the pluses and minuses. For example, IMO putting a small block in a 427 car is a fatal mistake from the get-go, but people do it all the time. You just don't want to make that decision without a full understanding of the implications. Here's a pic of my six pins, which only I get to see (unless you're in my garage when I'm pulling the wheels off).