View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Not trying to build your car or engine, Jim but (always a but right?) if you haven't already bought the Webers you might want to investigate the similar looking throttle bodies that are used with EFI. I doubt there is any significant pricing difference when either setup is finished but I suspect you will really appreciate the tunability and throttle response the EFI will bring to the engine without loosing that stunning Weber appearance when the hood is opened up.

Ed
Ed,

Already have the Webers, this is an engine refresh. You have to do that about every 20 hours of race time so that things can be identified and replaced before something catastrophic happens. Vintage racing rules do not allow for EFI unless a car was originally raced as such back in the day. The Webers on an independent runner intake manifold acts more like an EFI system than a 4 barrel carb. The runners are only about 2" long and drop at a slightly angle from the carb base into the intake port of the head. The carbs like a lot of advance, and they want it early. This engine had 38 degrees and it was in by 2500 rpms.

Spent a couple more hours reading up on cams, engine dynamics and flow rates. Read some interesting stuff on the impact of carbs, intake manifold and exhaust on head flow rates and performance. It is easy to get caught up in bench flow numbers of a head, but by the time that you put the engine together the actual flow numbers are not the same.

Thanks.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 04-22-2021 at 04:03 AM..