View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTom View Post

It sounds like there is a lot of advocacy for a 427 with EFI. In this case, can I still have the great sound of the carb'd 427? Are these reliable setups, that don't take frequent tinkering? Are there any preferred EFI setups?
The sound of the engine is determined by cam selection, cam phasing and to a lesser extent c/r. EFI just makes sure the engine is always fueled correctly.

There is a MegaSquirt offering that has a considerable number of good attributes. At first you will discount it because it sounds like it is for the wrong engine. It is called MS3Pro PnP and it is offered for a range of Modmotors but works on any internal combustion engine.

The beauty of the MS3Pro PnP system is both its price $1,349 and the fact it uses an OEM engine harness you can get out of a salvage yard. The conversion to a non Modmotor platform will require an update to the engine displacement, fuel injector sizing for your engine, possibly a firing order change depending on the engine you select and potentially lengthening or shortening selected sensor wires in the OEM harness. All are very easy to do.

Because it uses all OEM Ford sensors you do not get ambushed by repackaged GM OEM sensors at elevated pricies. Here is a clickable link to the unit => MS3Pro PnP There are a lot of things to like about the system but one you will not find anywhere else is a Lifetime Warranty — yeah I know, never heard of that on an aftermarket EFI system before either.

Almost forgot it supports virtually any ignition coil you want to use including the double throw down Mercury Marine IGN-1 and IGN-1A coils. You will need a cam position sensor to tell it where #1 is but those are available from Summit in distributor replacement packages.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 05-03-2021 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar