View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Wiring - New Build

Hello all,
Looking for some guidance with respect to wiring another project I inherited. Something isn't right with it all.

I think, among other things, it may have to do with the wire gauge sizes and I am trying to piece it all together:

Running a 4 gauge wire from the 185 amp alternator (150 amp at idle) from the front engine compartment all the way back to the trunk - that's about 13.5' to a one terminal of kill switch.
From that same terminal, running a 2' 1/0 gauge cable to the positive side of the battery.

From the other terminal, running a 1/0 gauge 13.5 ' cable back to the front that connects to the starter.

With holley terminator X Max EFI (draws about 50 amps) and both fans running (drawing about 30 amps) I am getting the following voltage readings:
Alternator: 14.3 (before the fans come on its 14.6)
Battery: 14.0
Fuel pump: 13.3

At a minimum, I think that 4 gauge from the alternator to the kill switch should be increased to 1/0 also.

When the engine gets up to 205 degrees, just above where the second fan comes on, it likes to stall abruptly. I am waiting for a tuning date cause it's running rich.

Any comments are much appreciated...thank you!