View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 08:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
This battery kill switch will shut down a running engine...if wired per the diagram.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/do...ocID=TECH00109
True. You know the funny thing about old Fords, and the way a lot of us have our solenoids and ignition wired in our "historically correct (kinda)" Cobras, is that some of these starter solenoids are prone to sticking in the closed position. This causes the starter to run continuously even while the engine itself is running. However, turning the ignition key “OFF” will not stop the engine because the stuck solenoid is feeding the ignition circuit via the second wire off the solenoid (which was originally used to bypass the ballast resistor). I've seen a zillion Fords wired this way, and a fair number of Cobras (it's even ERA's default method of wiring even with MSD boxes). Since MSD ignitions do not use a ballast resistor, the second wire connection to the starter solenoid can be safely removed and taped off. But if you have an old points type/ballast resistor ignition, you still need it. Somebody's bound to follow this post up with a memory of standing over an idling Ford engine, that has the starter motor running constantly, and they've pulled the key out of the ignition switch and are holding it in their hand thinking. "OK, just what the f*** do I do now?"