View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknich View Post
I thought the Hi Per heads didn't come out until 65?
Casting started in February 1963 in preparation for HP289 engine assembly that started the first work day of March 1963 for Fairlanes and Cobras. During 1963½-1964½ the progression of castings I have listed are:
C3OE-E 1963½ engines
C3OE-F 1963-1964 engines
C4OE-B 1964½ engines starting mid April 1964
C5OE-A 1964½ and 1965 engines circa April 1964
PS Shelby Cooper-Monacos, early GT40s, Lotus 30s, and other street and race cars used five bolt HP289 engines also (in low production numbers).

In restoration work the engine assembly date must be known to narrow down the day one possibilities. After the first two weeks in April 1964 you need to know what type of car (Fairlane, Cobra, Mustang) the engine was intended for. It is a real good idea to get a copy of Bob Mannel's book on 1962-69 small block V8 engines.

Potential buyers would probably be interested in:
Exactly what the casting number is for each unit?
Casting date of each unit?
Have the decks been milled and if so how much?
Any performance or race type modifications and if so exactly what?
Have they been non-destructively tested looking for hidden flaws or cracks?

Depending on who is wanting what the "value" spread can be very large. Example: A super nice near mint used set of race heads as used and sold by Shelby American by one of three head preparation shops might be worth premium dollars to one potential buyer while absolutely near mint stock might be the most valuable to somebody restoring their favorite old car.

In 2005 I sold a pair of HP289 heads for $100. I removed them from an engine in a car we bought. They had the strangest home done ill advised modifications I have ever seen. The buyer was going to practice his welding and machining skills on them.

Last edited by Dan Case; 05-28-2021 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: add detail