View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It is either: a) Perfectly Normal; or b) The voltage regulator (VR) is having trouble keeping up with the load change of the signal filaments blinking on and off. The most common reason for voltage (and current) fluctuation at idle, causing a wiggling or "wavering" needle, in these cars is a poorly grounded voltage regulator. A lot of VR mounts on our cars are on fiberglass, which is a pretty shi**y ground. Do this test: With the engine idling, put the turn signal on and watch the needle waver. Then run an alligator clipped wire from a known good ground to one of the corner bolts that holds the VR down. If that fixes it, make the ground permanent. Try that first before we explore other alternatives.
Patrick thanks for the quick reply. Here are some pics of the wiring on my alternator:

First pic shows the ground from the engine to the chassis. The alternator has 2 red wires, one I can trace back to the solenoid on the starter, the second is hidden under wiring mesh but I don't think it's the ground. Is it possible the ground is wired in there?

Am I missing something?

thanks again for everyone help!

Last edited by aa909; 06-12-2021 at 12:30 PM..