View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After doing 200 miles in it over the weekend, I've decided it could be even better.

The steering is very direct but the column at the steering wheel moves about 1mm in all directions, which gives a horrible disconnected feeling. Most classics have this kind of float, due to rubber/plastic bushes and not overly tight tolerances.

So I've stripped the upper column out of the car. on measuring, I think I can get some proper needle bearings in there.

I've ordered some press on inner races and correctly sized needle bearings to try.

Sadly I've not got enough room to get some conical bearings in there, so I will have to just use tension to stop thrust movement in the shaft, but that shouldn't add any more weight to the unassisted steering.

Its also time for me to accept my temporary placement of the wideband 02 sensor in the cylinder 1 manifold branch, is no longer good enough for fine engine tuning. So I'll be adding a boss onto my 4-1 collector to hopefully give me that extra level of accuracy for part throttle tuning.

I've also noticed my belt run is being dragged off line by the alternator pulley, so I'll be shimming the alternator to get that perfect too. Good job its raining this weekend!