View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby factory competition Mark II 289ci sgl four barrel
Not Ranked     
Default Paul Cunningham #37 Cobra

I am aware of the cars, the one in the Netherlands is not the Cunningham Cobra. Also, a second "Air-Car" is being built in S. Cal and it is not the Cunningham Cobra. The Cunningham Cobra was owned by the family and was never sold, after the accident it was taken to Shelby's shop for failure analysis, it was determined that the accident was not due to a mechanical failure and the wreck was subsequently 'cannibalized' with portions of the car being sold off or given to others so they could 'reconstruct' the car. I will state again, this cobra was privately owned by the Cunningham family, sponsored by Powerine Oil Company (Peter Rothschild), and never sold subsequent to the fatal crash.

As a stroke of luck or pity, a Shelby employee who knew Paul personally could not stand to see the few remnants of the 'cannibalized' cobra to the garbage bin and took it upon themself to deliver to my Mom those few remnants in a large cardboard box which was stored in her storage area, I found it when I was clearing out her property when she died in 2001. I have that cardboard box and the few cobra remnants.

In the last 15 years or so, I have been acquiring period correct 289ci engine, Mark II front end clip, roll bar, etc. to go with the chassis remnants, foot boxes, aluminum interior panels, dash board and upholstery remnants.

Looking for a partner with whom we will reconstruct the real Cunningham Cobra, a very rare factory competition prepared 289ci Mark II Cobra.

I appreciate any and all photos, commentary, records, etc.

Bless you all and stay safe.

I am going on 78, in remission from Stage 4 stomach and liver cancer and may not live long enough to complete my endeavors, but I owe it to Paul's racing history and achievements.