View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Then take it from me, properly tuned vacuum secondaries are wonderful in these cars. Forget that "Cobras are too light for vacuum secondaries" crap. Vacuum secondaries will perform flawlessly for you if you just get them set up right. The only down side is that in order to really test that you have them fully opening at their optimum rate is to get on it really hard while you have a measuring marker on them, tweak them, and repeat. Unless you have a stadium parking lot or something that has absolutely nothing that you can hit, it can be pretty dangerous on the street because the goal is to accelerate as fast as you possibly can which, frankly, is just not that safe. I don't know any other way to test that they're working for you at peak performance.
Yes, nothing wrong with a good vacuum or airvalve secondary carb. They size themselves to suit the engine demand. It is a myth that vacuum carbs are for stockers and RVs etc.
You can have $500 vacuum carb perform almost as well as a $1500 DP carb, since now we have access to many tuning options for the Holley vac sec diaphragm assembly.

Gold Certified Holden Technician