View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Angry Backdraft Cobra California Reg

Can anyone help that has been through CA reg for a Backdraft or Superformance in the past 6 months. I ordered a Backdraft in December (still being constructed) and now am being told there is a roadblock at the level of Sacramento because it is "too complete / turn-key" and they are not allowing the process to move forward due to new personnel in the CARB office. These are rolling-chassis kits, I am having the motor and trans dropped in by another shop.
Somehow a Factory Five which the hobbyist puts together is somehow different than having Backdraft construct one.

This is a potentially devastating impasse for me which could shatter my childhood dreams.

On the DMV website it indicates that specially constructed vehicles (SPCNS) "are not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. If assembled by someone other than the owner, a manuf. certificate for a complete vehicle is not acceptable proof of ownership for a SPCNS." They do say, however, "All documents will be thoroughly reviewed. If they show that the same company constructed, delivered, and issue major supporting invoices the vehicle may not qualify for an SPCNs certificate or sequence, However the vehicle may be registered as SPCNs with smog requirements."

I was able to speak a BAR referee and he verified there has been a problem in the last 6mo with these cars. I also was able to get an email from CARB saying, "If by SB100 you are referring to Special Construction Registrations, those are given to vehicles that are made by owners from the ground up. When you are granted a Special Construction Registration from the DMV, it is given in place of an emissions label. There is no certification completed by CARB as the vehicle has been constructed by a hobbyist. You will need to contact DMV directly to determine what the requirements are or what the process is for applying for one."

At this point Backraft has $5k deposit but I am obviously hesitant to purchase the car if I cant get it registered. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

Last edited by dsfinley; 07-19-2021 at 03:19 PM..