View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 07:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Lalmeida617 -- to make your car fit you perfectly, you will be adjusting four points of contact to your body. 1) Your butt distance from the the floor. This is adjusted by how much padding you have in the seat and whether there is a seat track or whether you bolt the seat directly to the floor; 2) Your seat distance and angle. Obviously you can move the seat forward and back, but tilting the front up or down a smidge can make a surprising difference while being virtually unnoticeable from outside the car; 3) The size and tilt of the steering column and steering wheel; 4) The distance of the pedals both fore and aft along with horizontal spacing. By far, the most difficult change to an existing car would be the pedals, as it will require re-crafting them for the spread, either through spacers or bending (I'm thinking ERA). ERA's pedals come up through the floor, so I know exactly what to do with them, but I have never stuck my head up under the dash of a Superformance car to see how the pedals are fastened on those cars and how you would fix them to your liking. Moving the pedals fore and aft is easier than spreading them. For me, because I am tall (6'4" with 12EEE feet) my configuration required a special clutch master cylinder with additional volume. That's not a big deal at all. If you got in my car and tried to take her around the block, chances are you would have difficulty even reaching the pedals and you would be sitting too low. When I was up at ERA 15+ years ago and sitting in some of the cars that were under construction, there was one that I remember where I literally looked over the windshield, my knees hit the steering wheel, and it generally felt like one of those toy cars you buy a toddler to drive around in the back yard. I remember thinking "you got to be kidding me." Then I sat in an identical car that had no seat in it at all and I could barely see over the cowl and I had to stretch to touch the pedals. That tells you what you are working with. You can make these cars fit you unless you are a real outlier on height and weight -- you just have to throw a little time and money at it.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-23-2021 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: typo