View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

As a new prospective Cobra replica owner, what was written above about the Cobra also resonates with me regarding my vintage Lotus: an Elan, original owner, factory delivered to me in the UK, in 1969. In California ever since. Now with a hp to weight ratio exceeding the original 289, so perhaps tamer than the 427's but no slouch and not "down on power".

The Elan is an even smaller and lighter car than the Cobra, always an adventure when out on the road in traffic. Less visible than a motorcycle rider, too low and small. Lots of power, 4+ seconds 0-60 (not stock!). But, one could perhaps say that the Lotus has a more sophisticated chassis/suspension, for the period, than the original Cobras.

So, why do I also want a Cobra. Probably because it has been on a lifelong bucket list. I last drove a 289 Cobra back in the late 60's, early 70's. There were 3 of us: me with the Lotus Elan, friend with an original AC Cobra 289, and a woman acquaintance with a Corvette. We would go up in the hills and chase each other. Then, swap cars. The Corvette (of that era) was truly horrible: poor handling, bucket of bolts. The AC Cobra was a hoot but the driving style was very different than the Lotus: slower in the corners and then blast out on the straight. The Lotus - a more fluid and delicate dance - my Lotus had 40% less horsepower and torque then as compared to now.

But, the Lotus, just as the Cobra, can get you into trouble, all by yourself, notwithstanding the idiots you may encounter on the road. The Lotus with its handling prowess, and now with much more power, seduces this driver into driving faster and faster. Probably not really testing the limits of the car but rather the driver.

I realize that I am not a professional driver even with professional training and the honor of having a picture of me together with Bob Bondurant. Knowing some real professionals, there is a massive leap from "good or excellent driver" to professional. I am in awe of what these guys can do. But, it will scare you to death to ride along or even try to follow.

Anyway the lessons of the Cobra as written above, are wise words indeed.