View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will, of course, be looking for confirmation the vehicle was first completed / registered at least 15 years ago. The 1999 manufacturing date is irrelevant if it wasn't completed and titled at least 15 years ago. You will have to PROVE that - the title will work if it's at least 15 years old, but in my case it wasn't and I had to jump through some flaming hoops and perform a couple of unnatural acts to validate its age. That was brought on at least partially because Michigan (where it was originally titled) destroys their records after 10 years. It then went to Alabama and Connecticut, where it was titled twice between 2004 and 2014. Thankfully Saskatchewan only requires a Bill of Sale to register the vehicle - no Title, no MSO.

Based upon what I can find, vehicles built in South Africa aren't exempt from the 6.1% duty, but cars made in the USA are exempt. I went through this process with my car which had a Michigan VIN. CBSA initially read the state-issued VIN starting with "MI" as "M1". M1 refers to Malta, and that attracts the same 6.1% duty. Once I had confirmation from the Michigan Secretary of State as to how to 'decode' their VIN, CBSA accepted it and it came in to Canada duty-free.

You'll also need to pay HST on the Canadian value of the vehicle (USA $$ x exchange rate).
Thanks for this Brian! Great insight. Looks like I'm in the same boat.
I have a Experian Auto Check Report.
This report actually shows Company manufacturer / VIN of car / Date of Car / Date of first Tittle and Assembled.
Would this report check out? I've just acquired it.

Last edited by DeaconR; 08-06-2021 at 05:50 PM..