View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 05:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
This would perhaps be a "solution" except it doesn't take into account another major goal in procuring a "Cobra Kit": Doing the assembly myself. I don't really need another "iconic" car nor even another one also with exhilarating performance. I have those.

I wanted the satisfaction of specifying and assembling the car myself (something I have the tools and expertise to accomplish). The "journey" is part of the motivation, not just the turnkey car.

I suppose I could buy a used California licensed car and then work on that. But, it is likely to have had most of the major aspects (e.g. drivetrain) already addressed relegating one to working on lesser items.

A further motivation, besides my own selfish satisfaction, is that my grandchildren are interested in cars and would enjoy wrenching on a kit with me. During Covid, I conducted Zoom classes with them on "Automotive Engineering and Physics" to an eager audience. Be nice to continue this with a more hands-on aspect.

These kids will be inheriting the car collection, so it would be good if they have some understanding what it is about. And they already have the car "bug".

Other options are to buy a "project" classic car and restore that. Having done that before it can easily extend into a many year project. And as noted, I ain't getting any younger. But, that may still make sense.

We'll see. I'll monitor the registration issue here and also consider other options. To be continued.
IMHO, as long as you choose a "kit" that is not provided to you as a "roller" or "turn-key minus", then I think you will be fine. Building a vehicle from "scratch" is exactly what SPCNS was intended for. From what I had read here (and on other places), the BAR is only questioning replicas that are purchased as "rollers".