View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
IMHO, as long as you choose a "kit" that is not provided to you as a "roller" or "turn-key minus", then I think you will be fine. Building a vehicle from "scratch" is exactly what SPCNS was intended for. From what I had read here (and on other places), the BAR is only questioning replicas that are purchased as "rollers".

So according to California regulations a smog exempt car classified a Specially Constructed Vehicle is:

"A Specially Constructed Vehicle is legally defined as “a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer.”
Specially Constructed Vehicles include:

Kit cars
Vehicles built from a combination of new and used parts
Dismantled vehicles that look completely different from the original"

So, what does Superformance say on their website:

"We offer a complete TKM (Turn Key Minus) component rolling chassis we are Not a Kit, this affords the customer amazing resale value, continuity of build and consistency in Build."

"Imagine a complete car – take out the engine and transmission (transaxle) and that is our replica. They are completely assembled and painted at our factory by experts that have produced over 3000 MKIII’s plus our other product lines."

SPF specifically declaring that they are not offering a kit is probably not helpful to the argument.

Of course, SPF's have been registered in California for a very long time. Twenty years after the passage of SB100 to now have objections being raised seems capricious and arbitrary. Moreover, the impact of a few 100 cars a year being exempted really seems to be a wrong priority.