View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 8000/Kirkham, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Alright, we're closing in on a month since your original post. Any progress? Or have you thrown in the towel.
I haven't thrown in the towel yet. Continuing my education. Went to the Cobra Experience - a must see if you can make it. Spoke with Drew Serb as well as several Cobra replica owners in attendance.

I have no news that the registration snafu here in California has been cleared up yet. Local SPF/CSX dealer here says he expects it to get straightened out. Question is if and when?

For the 289 (slabside) I think I have narrowed it down to SPF and ERA.

Pros for the SPF:
- Delivery time (including paint) is about 7 months.
- More correct chassis and suspension
Cons:
- Marginally more expensive (but depends on how much to paint the ERA)
- Delivered as a roller {pro and con). Seems to cause some CA BAR referees to rule the SPF as not a kit - potentially disqualified for smog exempt registration. TBD

Pros for the ERA:
- Peter seems to be great guy. Would be enjoyable to work with.
- More flexibility on the degree of completeness of assembly as delivered. Opportunity to do more of the work myself. May assist in the CA registration, clearly qualifying it as a kit.

Cons for the ERA:
- Delivery time 14 months. And then paint (another 12 weeks as per Peter). But could paint locally, later. Could leave unpainted for the CA registration - would help the case that it is a kit?
- Chassis and suspension, while apparently well engineered, does not attempt to be original. Wondering about the inboard rear brakes being a headache.
- Have to pay for shipping from East to West Coast.

I ruled out the Kirkham, as way too expensive - now around $250K. And the cost of the Shelby fiberglass CSX as not worth it (to me) with the significant bump over the SPF.

In the meantime I have not driven a Cobra in 50 years (CSX). Makes sense to test drive an SPF or ERA first before placing an order. Hopefully a 289.

And I continue to monitor the registration environment here in California.

Hopefully, I anticipate pulling the trigger on this by the end of the year.