View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 10:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD427 View Post
Thanks for advice thus far. One followup question. I always understood (at least with modern cars) the the PCVs purpose was to prevent rising crankcase pressures, which would result in oil getting pushed past the seals and such, ultimately leading to increased oil consumption. So forgive me if this is a dumb question but wouldn't closing off the PCV lead to essentially the same thing happening via some other channel?
You have a vent on the other valve cover that allows air to be sucked in. If you chose to dispense with your PCV entirely, you would still vent the engine. Most of us, but not all of us by any means, choose to run a PCV on the street as it keeps your engine a little cleaner on the inside. One old fashioned trick to monitoring crankcase pressure is to see if your dipstick is getting pushed up out of the tube (which is another vent, kinda). Plugging your PCV tube should tip you off pretty quickly as to whether that's the problem.