View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 04:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
I'm curious to know about the driving experience of Cobras across different manufacturers.

Having only ever driven 1 other Cobra for a brief stretch other than my own ERA FIA, I'm curious to know how others stack up.

Original 427/289 vs leaf spring Kirkham/CSX vs IRS ERA, etc.

For example, how does my ERA FIA compare in experience to the original? Would I hate driving an original Cobra or love it more than I do my ERA?

I'll admit something that many of you won't agree with: I had my engine rebuilt and increased HP from roughly 420 to 490; while I noticed the increase in power, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't care if it stayed in the low 400s.

I know that this conversation can go in a lot of different directions but I don't mind whichever direction it goes...
Driving experience across different manufacturers, I think I can fill in quite a few

427SC/street-ERA/Contemporary/Kirkham/SPF/CSX/Unique/FFR (original and reproduction/continuation) equipped with IRS rear end, for the street, all handle and feel pretty much the same. FFR with 3 or 4 link rear suspension can get a little jumpy on bumpy roads.The key here is apples to apples reviews.

289 FIA-ERA vs original, again, on the street, not much of a difference.

Now, with the above said, if you are asking about a difference on the track, yes, major differences, yet you will not really be able to give it an apples to apples type review, as each car is/was set up differently. Less flex on a modern Kirkham/CSX continuation series car vs an original as there is less deflection or torsional twist due to the better materials used for the chassis and birdcage assembly. Original CSX, lets face it, they are 50+ years old, if still equipped with their original chassis structure, there will be torsional twist and deflection, much more than a modern version.

Just my two cents having had the pleasure to drive all of the above over the last 40 or so years.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS